The Polar Vortex has brought harsh temperatures and chilling winds that are wreaking havoc on our skin. Central heating and radiators add to the moisture zapping resulting in dry, red, chapped skin. Our rule of thumb is that when you turn on your furnace, it’s time to switch up your skin care routine to hydrate, heal and protect your winter skin.
10 TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR WINTER SKIN
1. Avoid foaming facial cleansers as they strip oils from the skin. Skin should never feel squeaky clean after cleansing. Instead, opt for a oil, cream or gel cleanser and rinse with warm water as hot water dehydrates the skin.
2. Switch to a richer winter moisturizer or balm. Cold temperatures and wind are dehydrating and especially difficult for sensitive skin. Whether you are enjoying outdoor winter activities, walking to work or experiencing the temperature fluctuations between the outdoors and indoors, choose a richer moisturizer or balm to hydrate, heal, calm and soothe your winter skin.
3. Add a facial oil serum: The ultimate winter skin-saver for every skin type is an antioxidant-rich facial oil serum. Massage three to four drops directly onto your skin (post hydrosol) or add the serum into your moisturizer and then massage into your skin.
4. Use a toner/hydrosol. Facial toners are a crucial part of skin care yet are often skipped. Hydrosols are made up of the aromatic waters that remain after steam-distilling plants into essential oils. They are gentle and therapeutic and improve skin texture, hydrate, balance, improve the skin's function as a barrier and enhance product absorption. Spray a hydrosol directly onto the face and massage your serum into the skin to allow for better penetration.
5. Protect your winter skin from the sun. Sun protection is not just for the summer months. The strength of UV rays doesn’t diminish during the winter months. Snow acts as a reflector and can bounce UV rays back at you, greatly increasing the chance of sunburn. Apply a broad spectrum SPF to the face, ears, hands and lips when outdoors and reapply every two hours.
6. Exfoliate your skin weekly. Remove dull skin and enhance product penetration with a gentle weekly exfoliation. Do not limit your exfoliation to the face, dry brush your body daily with a natural-fibre brush to exfoliate, detoxify, stimulate circulation and reduces the need to over-apply body lotion.
10. Prepare healthy anti-oxidant rich meals. Protect and strengthen skin, nails, and hair in the winter months with meals rich in omega-3 fatty acids,Vitamin A, C, D, & E as well as zinc and selenium. Don't know what to make? Check out holistic nutritional blogs for meal inspiration:
The FACES Awards showcase the people and businesses that make Ottawa great. The Awards are truly 100% People Choice Awards - the winners are those who receive the most votes in each category.ORESTA organic skin care is incredibly honoured to be nominated and chosen as a finalist for BEST SPA. We are especially excited to see holistic healthy beauty in the running.
Thank you so much for your continued love and support! It truly means the world, and we are grateful beyond words.
Please vote for us or any of the other wonderful Ottawa businesses or people. Vote DAILY, one vote per IP address from anywhere until January 24th.We are listed under SPA.