Nothing beats the energy and vibe of Ottawa's Race Weekend. If you're running, we wish you a great race. If you're not, get out and cheer on the runners.
5 SUN PROTECTION TIPS DURING THE RACE:
1. Wear a Broad Spectrum sunscreen to protect against UVA ("A" for aging, skin damage and the more harmful forms of skin cancer) , UVB (“B” for burn) and blue light (from computer screens and devices).
2. A higher SPF does not mean that you can spend longer in the sun and between reapplications.
◦ SPF 15 blocks 93%
◦ SPF 30 blocks 97%
◦ SPF 50 blocks 98%
3. Ideally, you should stay out of the sun during peak UVA and UVB hours (10am to 4pm) but depending on your race time that may not be possible so be diligent about not only application but reapplication of sunscreen. Apply it 15 minutes before heading outdoors and then reapply at least once every 2 hours - even more when sweating.
4. Wear protective clothing (a hat, long sleeves and sunglasses). Remember, even on overcast days you are exposed to UV exposure.
5. Physical (mineral) sunscreens, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are reflectors that act as physical blockers. The minerals form a protective barrier on the skin and reflect harmful UV rays before they make contact with the skin’s surface.
Our favourite sun protection products for runners:
Salt & Stone Tinted Sunscreen Stick SPF 50: a matte tinted broad spectrum sunscreen stick with SPF 50 that blends into all skin tones. This water resistant formula glides smoothly and penetrates into skin effortlessly, leaving no white residue behind. The compact stick design is easy to carry while running and convenient for quick touch-ups throughout the day.
Eminence Sun Defense Mineral Powder Sunscreen SPF 30 is an easy to use powder SPF in a convenient brush applicator. It contains natural minerals for a weightless physical layer of non-chemical SPF 30. Easy to reapply on the go.
Eminence Lilikoi Mineral Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 is a face and body non-greasy and water-resistant (up to 40 minutes) sunscreen. Ideal for outdoor activities and high-performance sports where perspiration can impact standard sunscreen efficacy. This zinc oxide sunscreen protects from head to toe, leaving little to no white cast.
Coola Classic Body SPF 50 Fragrance Free Sunscreen Spray is a fragrance-free, ultra sheer, non-greasy, quick-absorbing, water + sweat-resistant (for 80 minutes) spray sunscreen. It's housed in a non-aerosol bottles that utilizes air-compression allowing for a continuous spray-on application that is safe to use on and around the face and body.
Wishing you a great race!