While we know that wearing a face mask is one the best defences against COVID, it definitely isn't kind to our skin.
MASKNE has become a common skin concern that is triggered by wearing a face mask for extended periods of time causing acne, breakouts, congestion, rosacea, irritations, peri-oral and seborrheic dermatitis.
CAUSES OF MASKNE:
1. Bacteria: Wearing a mask causes bacteria, nasal mucus and saliva to accumulate in the mask which can cause acne and breakouts as well as exacerbate rosacea flareups, redness and flushing. Although rosacea can look similar to acne, it's an inflammatory condition triggered by heat where skin becomes red and forms pustules, much like acne.
2. Synthetic Fabric: Face masks made with synthetic fabrics don't allow the skin to breathe resulting in maskne.
3. Friction: Face masks cause friction and chaffing which can trap and retain heat, sweat and bacteria. If you are a health care worker, you will be familiar with the abrasion, bruising and rashes caused by tight fitting masks.
4. Stress: Increased stress causes an increase in cortisol, the stress hormone which causes hormonal imbalances and exacerbates acne.
WAYS TO ADDRESS MASKNE:
1. Use a gentle, non-foaming cleanser like Stone Crop Gel Washthat heals, hydrates and evens out post breakout pigmentation without drying out the skin.
2. Incorporate a Toner that helps to reduce inflammation and irritation. Laurel's Hydrating Elixir II Support + Recover calms sensitive, reactive and acne skin. It also supports and and balances the skin's microbiome.
3. A serum is a powerhouse that supports and strengthens skin. The Laurel Unburden Serum supports the skin and reduces inflammation which is the root cause of acne, sensitivity, rosacea... For oilier blemished skin, the Balance Serum balances excess oil production, decongests blocked pores and dissolves impurities.
5. Incorporating a masque will elevate your skin care regime to heal and hydrate skin. Eminence's Eight Greens Phyto Masque calms and balances hormonal skin breakouts. Eminence Calm Skin Arnica Masque contains arnica which decreases redness and calms inflammation in sensitive skin. Activist Manuka Honey 850 MGO is a rare, medicinal grade raw honey with high antibacterial content that heals blemishes and nourish the skin.
6. Avoid harsh acne products which are drying to the skin and can further irritate skin. Eminence's Clear Skin Willow Bark Booster Serumis a spot treatment that heals blemishes and calms skin without drying or irritating it.
7. Wear face masks made with natural, breathable materials like cotton, bamboo or hemp to keep skin cooler.
8. Replace your mask throughout the day and wash it in a gentle, non-fragranced detergent so as not to further irritate the skin.
If your skin is feeling ravaged by a season of sun and face masks, since we cannot be together, we have created an End Of Summer RADIANT Facialso that you can recreate an ORESTA Holistic Facial at home to calm and recharge your mind while restoring your skin’s natural healthy glow. Our End of Summer RADIANT Facial includes a step- by-step video tutorial and 7 sample size organic skin care products to incorporate into the treatment.
- Cleanser: a choice of the Eminence Stone Crop Gel Wash or Eminence Stone Crop Cleansing Oil
- Exfoliator: Josh Rosebrook Active Enzyme Exfoliator
- Masque: Laurel Brighten Mask Elixir: a choice of the Laurel Elixir or Laurel Elixir II
- Facial Serum: Kahina Argan Oil
- Eye Balm: Laurel Eye Balm
- Facial Balm: Laurel Recovery Balm
Purchase the End Of Summer RADIANT Facialand step into fall with a clear, calm, hydrated and radiant complexion!!!!