The heat of the summer has us all thinking about different ways to cool down. Summer heat can also impact our skin. An increase in heat increase inflammation in the skin which results in sensitivity, redness, acne, rosacea and puffiness.
Cold therapy has become increasingly popular in the last few years. You may have seen people doing cold plunges or cryotherapy sessions in sub-zero temperatures. It boasts numerous benefits such as reducing inflammation, pain, faster recovery and restoring collagen. You can incorporate Cold Therapy into your skin care ritual with skin-cooling tools and anti-inflammatory products to soothe and calm the skin, while also cooling down and feeling refreshed in the summer heat.
Chill Wands, stone rollers and gua shas provide an instant cooling effect on the skin. They also help stimulate lymphatic movement which has soothing and de-puffing results on the skin.
Cooling, anti-inflammatory ingredients include cucumber, yogurt, aloe, chamomile and lavender. They are most often found in skin care products formulated for sensitive and acneic skin to reduce inflammation, but can be included in skin care for a wide range of skin concerns.
Benefits of cold therapy in skin care
1. Reducing Inflammation and inflammatory skin conditions: Inflammation is the root cause of all secondary skin concerns including acne, rosacea, sensitivity, aging and sun damage. Cold therapy, whether through tools or cooling skin care ingredients can benefit any of these skin concerns.
2. Reduce Puffiness and Dark Circles: Cold therapy can be particularly effective in reducing puffiness and minimizing the appearance of dark circles around the eyes. Applying a chilled eye mask, cool compress, or even chilled spoons can help constrict blood vessels, reduce inflammation, and provide a refreshing boost to tired eyes.
3. Sunburn Relief: If you've experienced sunburn, cold therapy can provide much-needed relief. Applying a cold compress or taking a cool bath or shower can help alleviate the heat and discomfort associated with sunburn. Additionally, using cooling skincare products with ingredients like aloe vera or chamomile can further soothe and nourish sun-damaged skin.
4. Post-Treatment Soothing: Cold therapy is commonly employed after various skincare treatments, such as chemical peels, micro-needling, or laser treatments, to soothe the skin and alleviate any potential discomfort. It helps to calm the skin, reduce redness, and minimize the risk of inflammation.
5. Instant Refreshment and Energy Boost: Cold therapy not only benefits the skin but also provides an immediate boost of refreshment and energy. The cooling sensation can provide a revitalizing effect, leaving you feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the day.
Our favourite tools for Cold Therapy:
Our Favourite Cooling Products: