Blackheads are often misunderstood and can be tricky to get rid of. With our tips below and a little time and dedication, clear healthy skin is within reach!
Our tips to manage blackheads:
- Use a gentle exfoliant 1-2x weekly to help remove dead skin cells and prevent build up. Aggressively exfoliating won't make blackheads disappear. In fact, it can irritate your skin and cause more problems in the long run. Gentle exfoliation is the way to go.
- Keep your skin well hydrated and moisturized. Though it's a common belief that avoiding oils is benefical for breakouts and blackheads, the opposite is true. Well-hydrated and moisturized skin functions better and actually balances the skin’s natural oil production. Choosing the right kind of oils is key.
- Don’t squeeze or pick blackheads. Squeezing might seem like a quick fix, but it can damage your skin, lead to infections, and make blackheads even worse. Being consistent with the right products and techniques to manage backheads.
- Pore strips are not the answer. While they might be satisfying to peel off, pore strips aren't the ultimate solution. They might remove a few blackheads, but they won't stop them from coming back and can actually peel off and damage the skin.
- Create movement. While we desire our pores to look tighter, we also need to create movement in the skin for better blood flow and to prevent congestion. You can do this through facial massage, gua sha, or using products that help stimulate lymphatic movement. A facial is a great option, too!
- Take a holistic approach. Stress and diet are intrinsically linked to breakouts. Adopting a diet abundant in vegetables, fruits and whole grains and avoiding processed foods, as well as, integrating stress management tools help to balance digestion and hormones which can impact our skin and cause breakouts.
Our Blackhead-fighting Favourites:
A mild exfoliating cleanser that lathers up into a foam to remove build-up, while charcoal absorbs impurities from the skin and deeply clean pores.
A stimulating oil Cleanser that roots out pore congestion, pulls debris to the surface and helps eliminate puffiness, stagnation and inflammation, immediately revitalizing a dull complexion. Additionally the deeply soothing aromatics of this blend have a relaxing aromatherapeutic effect (remember stress is a primary cause for breakouts).
A professional strength formula that contains Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid and Lactic Acid to quickly remove build-up of dead skin cells and debris from the skin surface and beyond. The Acids in this formula penetrate deeply to a cellular level aiding in cellular transformation in less that 5 minutes.
This powerful daily toner promotes a visibly refined, bright, and hydrated complexion. The unique, ph-balanced blend of fruit and flower acids (pyruvic, malic, citric and glycolic) along with mineral rich clays clarifies and exfoliates the skin.
A gentle alpha hydroxy AHA gel-serum that exfoliates, removes build-up and resurfaces. Red clover minimizes pores and balances oil production.
Detoxifies by drawing out impurities at the deepest level and replaces them with mineral dense nutrients from Silica rich Rhassoul Clays. Invigorating Eucalyptus and Mint which balances sebum (oil) production and cools the skin on contact. Lactic Acid - AHA further aids by gently exfoliating and clearing away dead skin cells and debris from the skin.