We know that our skin absorbs many of the chemicals found in the facial moisturizers, body lotions and other personal care products that we use daily. According to studies, approximately 60% of what we apply topically can be absorbed into the blood stream.
Mucous membranes found on the mouth, eyes, vagina, rectum, and penis tip are especially vulnerable, as they do not have a protective layer of skin. Without this protective barrier, chemicals can more easily be absorbed into the bloodstream.
Some of these chemical ingredients include:
- propylene glycol: a humectant that is added to lubricant to increase moisture retention. The potential problem is that it is a penetration-enhancing humectant. Humectants absorb moisture from anything around them and if your lubricant contains a penetration-enhancing humectant, it can mean that harmful toxins may be able to permeate the skin where they would not normally be able to.
- parabens: used as preservatives
The reality is that most women will experience vaginal dryness and discomfort at some stage in their life.
Vaginal dryness can result in painful intercourse, in elevated vaginal pH which can lead to thrush and in atrophic vaginitis where even sitting down can hurt.
We want to feel comfortable on a daily basis and during sexual intercourse, however we don’t want to use lubricants with nasty synthetic chemicals.
Healthy alternatives which offer exceptional performance without compromising purity for everyday moisture retention as well as for maximum lubricity and long-lasting glide are now available.
YES is a certified organic and plant-based natural range of lubricants available in water and oil-based versions.
- are free from hidden synthetic chemicals (harmful or not)
- are free from all known mucosal irritants
- contain only natural ingredients (plant based and occurring in nature)
- are beneficial (using plants that are known to benefit the mucosa and skin)
- feel really good on skin and work really really well
- are transparent about their ingredients and benefits
So what is the difference between the various types of lubricants?
Water-based lubricants are condom compatible and help treat vaginal dryness and discomfort by rehydrating delicate tissues. As a sexual lubricant, water-based lubricants provide realistic lubrication and they are pH balanced to maintain the typical vaginal environment and to combat thrush & irritation.
Oil-based lubricants are not condom compatible but offer a natural alternative to synthetic chemical lubricants such as silicone or vaseline. They contain sweet almond oil, shea butter and cocoa butter which act as a strong, long-lasting lubricant. Although oil-based lubricants protect the tissues, they will not rehydrate dry and sensitive vaginal tissues. They are suitable for use as an intimate massage oil or all over the body.