There are so many misconceptions about sun protection. We would like to share the truth about sun protection..
Sunscreen is essential to keep skin protected from the dangers of sun exposure, including sunburn, sun damage and melanoma and it's also beneficial in minimizing the aging effects of UV rays, such as fine lines and wrinkles, rough skin and hyper-pigmentation.
1. Sun protection factor (SPF) indicates how much protection a product offers against UVB (B = burning) rays. The increase in SPF protection is marginal between SPF15 and SPF50+.
- SPF 15 blocks approximately 93% of all UVB rays
- SPF 30 blocks approximately 97%
- SPF 50 blocks 98% (an almost complete UVB block)
A higher SPF does not mean that you can spend longer in the sun.
2. Stay out of the sun during peak UVA and UVB hours (10am to 4pm). Wearing protecting clothing (hats, long sleeves and sunglasses) and use umbrellas. You are exposed to UV exposure even on overcast days.
3. SPF is a measure of UVB (“B” for burn). In order to protect against UVB + UVA ("A" for aging, skin damage and the more harmful forms of skin cancer) rays, you must use broad spectrumsun protection.
4. Sunscreen enters bloodstream after just one day of use. According to a recent preliminary pilot study by the Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research found that several common sunscreen ingredients enter the bloodstream in one day at levels high enough to trigger a government safety investigation. It found that the blood concentration of three of the ingredients continued to rise as daily use continued and then remained in the body for at least 24 hours after sunscreen use ended. The four chemicals studied were avobenzone, oxybenzone, ecamsule and octocrylene. They are part of a dozen that the FDA said need to be researched by manufacturersbefore they can be regarded as safe and effective.
5. Chemical sunscreens are absorbers. They filter/absorb UV rays. Through a chemical reaction, they convert UV rays into heat, then release that heat from the skin.
Physical (mineral) sunscreens, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are reflectors that act as physical blockers. The minerals form a protective barrier on the skin and reflect harmful UV rays before they make contact with the skin’s surface.
6. Reapplication is KEY. Sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before going outdoors and reapplied at least once every 2 hours. In water, it should be reapplied every 40 minutes, or more.
7. Environmental factors such as elevation, time of year, location and pollution affect the risk of sun exposure. The UV index (UVI) is designed help people to know how to protect themselves against UV rays. The range is from 0 to 11+. The higher the UV Index, the stronger the sun's rays, and the greater the need to protect your skin.
8. Sun protection can be water resistant (40 min), water resistant (80 min) or not water resistant. You’ll need to reapply after being in the water or sweating.
9. Do not fear the sun. Sunscreen and avoiding the sun can reduce Vitamin D levels. Skin produces 90-95% of our Vitamin D when exposed to UVB rays. The remaining 10% is from dietary sources. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and other health conditions.
10. Use safe, natural and mineral sun protection.
Hawaii has recently announced that it is working towards banning 'coral bleaching' chemical sunscreens. The FDA has also recently completed a preliminary study on the effects of chemical sunscreens on the body. Until further research is completed, we know that mineral / physical sunscreens are "generally regarded as safe and effective" (GRASE) and have chosen to discontinue retailing any products containing chemical sunscreens.
We do our best to provide the best products for our customers. With this change, the following products will no longer be part of our regular stock. However, they can be special ordered at the customer's request.
- Eminence Red Currant Protective Moisturizer SPF 30
- Eminence Bright Skin Moisturizer SPF 30
- Eminence Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 32
- Eminence Tropical Vanilla Body Sunscreen SPF 32
- Eminence Vanilla Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25
- Eminence Caramel Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25
We are excited to introduce you to a collection of mineral sunscreens. Zinc oxide is known to keep skin cool and breathable. It reflects the heat and energy of the sun’s rays away from the skin, thereby reducing its temperature. For this reason, mineral sunscreen is particularly beneficial in minimizing skin inflammation and redness associated with acne, rosacea and skin sensitivity.
Introducing the Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream SPF30. This lightweight dual-action day cream performs as a regenerating moisturizer and natural, broad-spectrum sunscreen delivering a potent combination of distinct herbal actives and plant oils to repair, moisturize and protect skin. Unique herbal synergies release skin transforming anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients proven to firm, reduce redness and assist the skin in regeneration. It contains a high quality uncoated, non-nano, high micron zinc oxide for effective sunblock against skin-damaging solar rays without a white cast and offers a matte and smooth finish. Available in regular or tinted formulas.
We are so excited to introduceEminence's NEW Lilikoi Mineral Defense Collection. The lightweight all-mineral, broad spectrum SPF collection contains three products that are easy to layer. The collection contains zinc oxide, is free of octinoxate and is reef-safe.
Lilikoi Mineral Defense Moisturizer SPF 33 is a lightweight SPF 33 mineral sunscreen moisturizer which shields your skin from the appearance of the damaging effects of pollution and environmental elements. Suitable for all skin types, this moisturizer leaves a natural finish, so the skin looks healthy and radiant.
Lilikoi Light Defense Face Primer SPF 23 is a lightweight illuminating face primer with SPF visibly improves the appearance of skin exposed to blue light stress and helps prevent sunburn. Layer this mineral primer after your moisturizer or use it as a protective base before you apply foundation or tinted moisturizer. Subtle illuminating properties give the skin a healthy, “lit-from-within” effect, resulting in the appearance of a glowing, radiant complexion.
Lilikoi Mineral Defense Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 is an easy-to-apply, non-greasy sport formulation for the face and body that is water-resistant for up to 40 minutes. Highly effective for outdoor activities like swimming and high-performance sports where perspiration can impact standard sunscreen efficacy, this zinc oxide sunscreen protects from head to toe.
Apply a liberal layer over the face and body 15 minutes before sun exposure and leave on. Reapply at least every 2 hours. Reapply after 40 minutes of swimming or sweating and immediately after towel drying.
Extra tip: To avoid a white case from the zinc oxide, warm up the product between your fingers and gently pat into skin for a flawless finish.