How To Choose The Right Exfoliator
Are you struggling with post-winter dry, flaking skin? Does your complexion appear dull? congested? Are you breaking out?
Although many of us follow a diligent skin care regimen of cleansing, toning and moisturizing our skin, we often neglect EXFOLIATION. This process of sloughing away dead skin cells off the surface of the skin is key to supporting healthy skin function. You can exfoliate your skin with a chemical or manual exfoliant. As skin regenerates every 28-40 days, exfoliating once or twice/week is sufficient. Over-exfoliation and exfoliating with a harsh exfoliant will lead to irritation and redness.
5 REASONS TO EXFOLIATE
1. To smooth and refine the texture of the skin
2. To even out skin tone, diminish age spots, sun damage and post acne discolouration.
3. To prepare the skin for better product penetration
4. To minimize the appearance of fine lines by rehydrating the skin
5. To reduce pores, clear congestion and prevent breakout
Manual exfoliation, also referred to as a mechanical exfoliation involves a massaging action with a ground almonds, walnut, rice or oats powder to remove dead skin off of the surface of the skin. Add water to the powder to create a paste. Use a gentle pressure when massaging the exfoliator into the skin. Avoid the eye area. Avoid harsh exfoliants that can irritate and break the skin.
As skin only regenerates every 28-40 days, exfoliate once/week. Over exfoliation leads to irritation and redness.
Our Favourite Manual Exfoliators:
1. Eminence Stone Crop Oxygenating Fizzofoliant - a powder-to-foam exfoliant with microgreens stone crop and rice flour with adzuki beans that gently invigorates the skin and removes impurities for a brighter complexion. Add water to activate. Ideal for all sin especially sensitive.
2. Eminence Rosehip + Maize Exfoliating Masque - a gentle exfoliating masque of maize to remove impurities, rosehip to infuse antioxidants and zinc and honey to calm and heal. Ideal for all skin types especially oily + sensitive skin. Nut and gluten free.
3. Eminence Almond + Mineral Treatment -an invigorating exfoliant containing crushed almonds to refine, paprika to stimulate and oxygenate and zinc to heal and soothe the skin. The paprika will cause a warm flush to the skin which will subside leaving a healthy, radiant glow). Ideal for dull congested skin. Not recommended not for sensitive skin.
4. Eminence Pear + Poppyseed Microderm Polisher- a natural microdermabrasion exfoliant combines pear and poppyseed to minimize wrinkles relieve congestion and increase circulation for a glowing complexion. Ideal for dry congested skin not recommended for acne.
5. Laurel Almond Rose Exfoliant: Hydrating Nutrients- a powder exfoliant and nourishing masque ideal for sensitive, inflamed skin. It contains oats, chamomile, rose petals, raw almonds and marshmallow to gently exfoliate while nourishing and hydrating skin. Suitable for all skin types including reactive skin.
Chemical Exfoliation involves the loosening of dead skin cells with an AHA, BHA or enzyme peel. They break down the bond of dead skin cells, excess sebum (oil) and bacteria so that skin can naturally shed without any manual massaging action.
AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) are water soluble and exfoliate the surface of the skin. They are derived from sugar cane (glycolic acid), citrus fruit (citric acid), milk (lactic acid), grapes (tartaric acid) and almonds (mandelic acid)
BHA (beta hydroxy acids) are oil soluble and can penetrate deeper into the pores. They are commonly known as salicylic acid (willow bark), citric acid (citrus) and malic acid (grapes).Ideal for oily, acne-prone skin.
Enzyme are derived from papaya (papain), pineapple (bromelain) , pumpkin and berries.Enzyme Exfoliants are ones that loosen dead skin cells with an enzyme action not manually massaging.such as fruit enzymes of papaya pineapple berries.
Our Favourite Chemical Exfoliants:
1. Eminence Yam + Pumpkin Enzyme Peel - naturally occurring glycolic + lactic acids from the puree of yam and pumpkin exfoliate the skin. Ideal for pigmented and sun-damaged skin to lighten pigmentation. MUST be neutralized with the Soothing Chamomile Tonique. Avoid on acne skin and ensure SPF protection post peel.
2. Eminence Clear Skin Exfoliating Peel - a deep-cleansing clarifying gentle salicylic peel solution with cotton round pads for acne-prone skin. This is the ideal exfoliant for those who don't exfoliate as this exfoliator doesn't require you to rinse it off. It clarifies and refines blemished skin without irritation while reducing the appearance of problem skin. The peel is also available in Calm, Bright and Firm.
3. Eminence Arctic Berry Peel + Peptide Illuminating System- a three-step at-home chemical peel treatment with powerful antioxidants from arctic berries and lingonberry seed oil and natural peptides to reduce wrinkles improve skin tone and lighten pigmentation. Ideal for all skin including sensitive and rosacea.
4. Laurel Honey Berry Mask: Enzyme Glow- a nourishing honey, raspberry, blueberry and blackberry exfoliating mask. It acts as a gentle brightening enzymatic exfoliant and hydrator that plumps and firms the skin. Ideal for honey tapping for all skin types.
Dual action exfoliators combine mechanical and chemical exfoliation ingredients for a deep exfoliation.
Our Favourite Dual-Action Exfoliants:
1. Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant is an easy-to-use rice powder exfoliant that absorbs oil and removes dead skin cells with added lactic acid while strawberries and rhubarb infuse the skin with antioxidants. Add water to activate. Use alone or mix it with your favourite cleanser. For all skin types except sensitive.
2. Josh Rosebrook Active Enzyme Exfoliator- a resurfacing exfoliator to clear soften and renew skin with potent fruit and honey along with dual-action exfoliation with herbal enzymes and refined walnut shells. Ideal for dry and congested skin.
Whether you prefer an exfoliation that is mechanical , enzyme or dual-action, choose the one that is best suited for your skin type and lifestyle. Incorporate an exfoliator into your skin care routine to ensure you get that glow that you deserve!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.