February is Heart Month so show your heart some healthy love:
1. Seven hours of sleep every night is good for your heart = less calcium in your arteries (calcium buildup is an early sign of heart disease).
2. Reduce the use of refined white salt in your diet. Instead, opt for Himalayan Crystal Salt or flavour your food with kelp granules, Braggs Liquid Aminos (tastes like soy sauce), fresh herbs & spices or Nutritional Yeast.
3. Get your heart pumping with regular exercise (30 minutes/day 5 days per week). Sounds like too much work. Try walking with a friend.
4. Studies of red wine and grape juice prove that they contain natural antioxidants including resveratrol and flavonoids that have been linked to heart-healthy properties. Moderation is key - no more than one or two glasses per day.
5. Manage your stress by making time to relax and deep breathe to help slow down your heart rate. Try a meditation class. Take time to enjoy healthy friend and family relationships. Spend time with those who make you laugh. Laughter is the best medicine!
6. Avoid fatty foods, processed meats or canned foods (which contain high quantities of salt). Instead, opt for more superfoods in your diet including: blueberries, citrus, avocado, salmon, dark chocolate, legumes, nuts, olive oil, green tea and of course fresh greens.
Happy Heart Month!