8 BASIC EYE SKIN CARE TIPS:
1. CLEANSE: Don't go to bed without cleansing your skin and removing all of your eye makeup. Cleanse daily am and pm. Avoid using a foaming cleanser that will dry the skin.
2. MOISTURIZE: Hydrate your eye area with an eye cream, balm or serum (plant-based oil). The ingredients in eye products differ from regular moisturizers as they contain smaller molecules that penetrate deeper into the skin. Eye products that contain peptides protect + stimulate production of collagen and elastin, antioxidants protect against free-radicals and hyaluronic acid plumps the skin. Always apply counterclockwise starting under the eye and onto the lid with your ring or pinkie fingers.
3. EXFOLIATE the eye area weekly but avoid using a harsh exfoliant. A gentle AHA (applied no closer to the eye than the orbital bone) will stimulate circulation and cell turnover. Exfoliate the eye area gently with your pinkie finger using light pressure.
4. SPF: Protect the delicate skin around your eyes with proper sun protection that is reapplied every 2 hours.
5. SLEEP: Ensure that you get enough sleep - 7 to 8 hours/night.
6. MASSAGE around the eye area is extremely beneficial for dark circles, to brighten the eyes to stimulate circulation and drain puffiness around the eyes.
7. PROFESSIONAL EYE TREATMENTS that include exfoliation, a hydrating and firming eye masque and massage are extremely effective in targeting eye puffiness and dark circles.
8. DIY EYE TREATMENTS can be done at home with ingredients found in your kitchen. Fresh papaya or tomato are natural enzymatic exfoliators while cucumbers prevent puffiness, dark circles and helps to tighten the skin. Green tea bags applied as compresses are beneficial for dark circles around the eyes. A warm compress will tighten and tone while alternating cold and warm compresses will dilate the blood vessels, increase blood flow and oxygenate the skin. Milk, which contains lactic acid, can also be used as a compress to exfoliate, brighten and hydrate the skin around the eyes.
Let's get our eyes light and bright with a little eye TLC!